Open to Internal and External Candidates
|Position Title||:||Senior Assistant to the Chief of Mission|
|Classification||:||General Service Staff, Grade G6|
|Type of Appointment||:||Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||:||As soon as possible|
|Closing Date||:||August 2, 2022|
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Programme and Liaison Coordinator and in coordination with relevant units at the Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the support to the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the Programme and Policy Support Unit (PPSU).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist the Chief of Mission (CoM) in government liaison with ministries and departments, UN agencies, as well as donors and other key partners; support the CoM’s participation in diplomatic events and prepare meetings.
- Organize and coordinate meetings for the CoM; coordinate with the different units and relevant stakeholders such as Government entities, UN agencies, Embassies to facilitate meetings or other secretarial issue on behalf of CoM as and when required.
- Draft and review substantive correspondence for the CoM’s signature, and draft non- substantive correspondence based on first-hand knowledge of work schedule or events, rough notes, or verbal instructions, for CoM’s approval.
- Organize and facilitate conferences, workshops, incoming and outgoing visits and missions, as assigned by the CoM and the Programme and Liaison coordinator and take minutes of meetings as required.
- Arrange appointments and manage the Chief of Mission’s agenda, place and screen telephone calls and answer enquiries.
- Prepare and coordinate with units to ensure the timely submission of meeting/briefing notes and background documents ahead of CoM’s meeting; and assist in developing the briefing materials for COM’s meetings and missions.
- Collate and review correspondences, documents prior to the CoM’s signature according to IOM procedures and make follow up when required.
- Receive confidential issues, letters, documents and distribute them to the proper departments.
- Prepare duty travel of the Chief of Mission and PPSU team, including timely submission and follow up on Travel Request (TRs), entry visas, security clearances (UNDSS), flight reservations/accommodation, and with other IOM missions and/or host entities; ensure that the CoM’s and PPSU team travel authorizations and travel expense claims are submitted in a timely manner; Ensure offices are informed of travel arrangements and requirements and Chief of Mission is briefed of important developments upon their return.
- Ensure record keeping and maintenance of all relevant correspondence. Create and maintain filing and reference system, following IOM guidelines. Develop, maintain and update database for documentation related to the programmes; contracts and correspondences
- Assist with the administrative work of the office of the Chief of Mission including establishing internal procedures and file/track systems for correspondence and documents, receive, screen and register correspondence and documents.
- Draft correspondence, letters, reports, memoranda, as well as IOM documents and forms related to IOM administrative matters. Serve as Interpreter and informally translate documents as required;
- Work with high level of discretion in providing wide-ranging administrative assistance to the CoM’s Office and manage highly confidential information with tact and discretion;
- Set up, coordinate and flag internal and external meetings including timely reminders to respective Units and Staff Members (programmes, admin/finance, Logistics, procurement, IT, security etc.); as requested, participate in internal and external meetings, brainstorming sessions and training workshops; prepare and share minutes with relevant staff and make revisions as required; send out reminders to meeting participants on agreed action points;
- Liaise with the units concerned in order to obtain briefings, general information, documents, as well as any other material relating to the various meetings / events, as required; Review briefings to verify completeness of information, obtain additional input from focal points as needed;
- Provide administrative support to the CoM and the PPSU, including recording and procurement of visibility items;
- Ensure management and confidentiality of IOM files and records;
- Monitor and maintain an updated record of government contacts and members of the diplomatic corps; Serve as diplomatic protocol focal point.
- Keep abreast activities of importance, latest policies, procedures and organizational changes affecting the Office of the Chief of Mission.
- Perform other related duties as assigned. Required Qualifications and Experience Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences or related field with higher responsibilities to senior management, preferably in an international organization with four years of experience; or
- High School degree in the above fields with minimum of six years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, national/international institutions, United Nations agencies and non-governmental organizations;
- Experience working with administration;
- Experience writing summary reports, meeting minutes;
- Experience in public relations, liaison and communication will be an advantage.
- Team-work oriented, capacity to work independently; sensitive to gender issues, personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, experience in working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels;
- Demonstrable ability to act under pressure and completing tasks in a timely manner;
- Demonstrable experience with Microsoft Office;
- Strategic multitasking experience, strong analytical skills, and situational anticipation abilities;
- Expert level internal and external communications skills as well as excellent negotiation skills;
- Familiarity with UN common system or similar systems;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, and coordinate administrative activities;
Fluency in English and French is required. Fluency in local languages is desirable.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
n· tegIrity and transpare ncy: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
r·ofePssionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
e· liveDring results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
a· naMging and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
c·couAntability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
m· Co munication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
m· poEwering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
t·rateSgic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and Cover letter) via email at [email protected] , by August 02, 2022, at the latest, referring to this advertisement VN-ML-13- 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.